Friday, October 19, 2012

Scotch - less scary than survivalism

When I was in my early 20's, I fell in love with the idea of being a Scotch drinker. It seemed sophisticated in a way I knew I wasn't. The problem was, I honestly didn't like whisky that much. Oh, I could drink a glass of Glenfiddich and smile through it, but it didn't actually taste good. Enter Bowmore, the Scotch that opened my eyes.

I was working as as blacksmith at King Richard's Faire in Massachusetts when my friend (and eventually mentor) Walter Sobczak handed me a flask and invited me to sample. It turns out that Walter didn't drink much himself but knew his stuff. That first sip of Islay started a love affair with malt and how it could transform with care and effort into the mystical "water of life". The same ingredients stored in a different wood, distiller in stills of odd shape, or warehoused in diverse environments could taste so very different. I'll freely admit, there are some Scotches that are loved by connoisseurs that I find undrinkable. There are those who taste and rank and rate Scotches that I look to for insight, and others I blatantly ignore. Just as that first sip was very personal, so my journey remains.

A I build and shift this blog, I'll talk about Scotch I'm enjoying and others I don't. I might go into some details on tasting, following guidelines and proper procedures, or I might just call something "yummy". More than one distiller has said Scotch is for the drinking, so I don't think someone with an income derived from imbibing should intimidate you from enjoying the hard labor of a bunch of blokes who are, in all honestly, closer in personality and class to you and I than the folks who can afford $13k bottle of hard to find spirit.

Why wait? My current faves are those I like to pull out when I just want a dram. Mostly I drink them straight up and room temp. If you like a little water or a slight chill, I won't tell.

Highland Park 12 year - affordable, oaky, and some smoke, this Scotch from Oarkney is both affordable and smooth. Not as full and complex as the 18 year, I find it an agreeable way to chill at the end of the day. A bit of heat here, but only a bit.

Balvenie Doublewood 12 year -A nice, accessible Scotch that I love to share with friends. Finished in sherry casks, the oakiness is a little downplayed. The smoke and peat are also not very harsh, which adds in it's appeal to new drinkers. Complexity is enough to entertain the more veteran drinker. It's also around $40 and a popular gift, so I always seem to have a bottle or 2 kicking around.

So, 2 posts in on the new focus and I now sound like a drunken survival nut! Yay!

1 comment:

  1. You are not a drunken survival nut. Though you probably are still a nut :)

    ReplyDelete