Friday, March 25, 2011

EDC follow up, now with pictures!

I figured I would put up images of what is actually in my bag since everything is moving over from the old bag to the new one as a follow up from my EDC post. First, the new bag(s) is here, so let's look!

Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger
This is the main bag. It is slightly taller and a little less deep than my old bag, but far more pockets. I'll let you explore Maxpedition's site for all the ins-and-outs, but here's mine unloaded for comparison later on.
P3250278
I'm seriously impressed with the construction. The stitching is great, YKK zippers feel solid, and the pocket layout is sensible. It has no real pockets for pens and the like, but that's why I picked out a few other pouches to attach.

EDC Organizer

P3250268
P3250268

This is my solution to no pen slots and the like. It will connect onto the main bag using 2 Blackhawk Speed Clips, which turn out to be quick and easy to use.

FR-1 Pouch
I wanted to move a few things to the outside and my first aid kit was one of them. This was the solution, and gives me room to add a few missing items.
P3250275

Double Magazine Pouch
A difficulty in my old bag was keeping my flashlight and Leatherman. They lived in a side pocket, which made them less speedy to get to without taking the pack off. I picked up this, designed for gun magazines, to hold them both.
P3250276
It has an extra advantages of doubling as a belt pouch for both items and being able to easily come off at the airport.

Universal CCW Holster
I don't actually carry a pistol everyday, but I wanted to try this out as an option for easily carrying my fixed blade knife, as I spoke about here. No picture this time, you'll see it in a minute and it isn't that special. It hooks into the loop fabric in the back pocket on the main bag.

All that stuff!
So, other than a laptop and/or iPad, plus the occasional jacket, here's everything I carry in my old bag.
P3250266
Most of this you can identify from my previous post
A few things I missed, many of which others pointed out in the comments, include a water bottle, tissues, some snacks, and my emergency radio/light. Missing in all this is the first aid stuff. Let's look at that.
P3250272
Again, much of this I mentioned and I'll be doing a med kit post or 2 later on, but the key thing I didn't mention (and motomuffin did) is gloves. Be safe! I also have a tube of super glue in there for sticking cuts back together. Not always pretty, but very effective. Not shown is the piece of moleskin I carry for blisters.

Here it all is in it's pouch
P3250270
and all closed up
P3250269

The knife has had some modification to the sheath (easy to do on this model) and been put into the the holster, so it now looks like this:
P3250280

All zipped up!
Putting everything in the bags, zipping it up, and attaching the external parts to where they belong, here's what we get.
P3250282

You'll note that I put the first aid kit and sheaths off to the side of the bag. This is largely an access bonus but also keeps the bag from sticking too far back from my body. When spun to the front I can easily get to flashlight, multi-tool, and first aid kit.

First impressions
I've only been carrying this rig for a few days, but I already like it. I have easy access to stuff, better organization, and the comfort level is good. We'll see how it fairs over the coming weeks, months, and years!

No comments:

Post a Comment