Thursday, December 13, 2012

Macallan's 12

Because I like Scotch, I often find myself in social situations being asked, "What should I get?". This is often limited by where I am at the time. Recently I found myself at a social gathering with a friend's wife who likes whiskey but is fairly new to appreciation of it. I asked the bartender what she had that wasn't shown (FYI, ALWAYS ask!) and she went through her list, it ended at Macallan's 12.

I'll admit, I'm not Macallan's #1 fan. I enjoy their whiskey, but I think they're a little inflated for what they are. I've seen their 25 y/o go for $35 a glass, which seems like robbery, but they do make a mighty fine dram. Had Oban 14 been around (likely the same price), I likely have opted for it, but I was limited and went for the big M.

This is a Scotch with a lot to offer. There is a bold taste, but complexity to boot. Boasting a subtle peatiness and smoke, it offers the complexity that a more experienced Scotch drinker yearns for, but has a smoothness that a less seasoned aficionado can use for accessibility. The young lady in question thoroughly enjoyed her glass, and, I hope, broadened her whiskey world a little from the experience.

At around $50 bottle, it isn't my first pick for a general Scotch pick, but you can't go wrong with a bottle of Macallan's 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment